It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived. Helen Walton

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Vacation Time

Once again, we had a wonderful vacation cruise with Windstar Cruises.
We started off in Lisbon and ended up in Barcelona, with some beautiful, amazing sites along the way.
Odd things catch my eye.  Where ever we go, I love the cobblestones.
This time, I got to watch a fellow laying them outside a restaurant where we had dinner.
It was fascinating and  he is an artist and probably doesn't realize it.
Newspapers also always jump out at me.  I love the look of the foreign languages on the printed page.
So when we got home and got a bit rested I had an idea.
I glued down scraps of Portuguese, Spanish, Japanese and Moroccan papers

Added some transparent paint.
I covered it with plastic and pressed into the paint.














Then I drew out my cobblestone pattern on poster paper, cut each stone out and placed them on
the dry paint.  I then rolled with an ochre to get the spacing between the stones
So this is the finished product.  If you look closely, you can see the print in various languages.
So this is my memory of our travels.  I refer to cobblestones as a common language we all share.
Whenever we travel, I look forward to seeing them again.

It is always good to be home.  My orchids  seem to thrive while I am away.  On return my weirdest orchid, dendrobium spectabile was blooming.  What it lacks in "beauty" it makes up for in scent.  It has a wonderful light scent.
Wishing all a Happy PPF!

6 comments:

DVArtist said...

Such cleaver art this week. Love it.

Valerie-Jael said...

Your cobblestone painting with the different languages is fantastic, love it. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

Beth Niquette said...

How clever you are! This is wonderful...I just adore what you did.

Lisabella Russo said...

What a wonderful idea, your travel cobblestones are fantastic! I think your orchid is beautiful.

Christine said...

Beautiful inspired work, glad you had a lovely trip.

denthe said...

oh wow, I love this idea! What a great way to remember your holiday. Thanks so much for telling me about the you tube-video's from Gerda Lipski. I never heard of her, but I just love what she's doing. I'll be watching all of her video's now :-) I always forget about the technique with the plastic wrap, but it is indeed a great way to get some awesome textures.