It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived. Helen Walton

Friday, February 2, 2018

Winter in Florida???

Yes, this year we have definitely had a winter in Florida.
It sort of comes and goes so that means we haul my orchids in to the house for a few days
and then haul them back out again for a few days...and so on.
Several of them have gotten their leaves burned by the cold winds, one had four buds
that all fell off when I brought it into the dry heat of the house.
I have a new art teacher at our art center.  I have learned more about color and mixing it, 
perspective and composition in the month with her than I have learned in the last 4 years.
We started with specific mixes of color and an assigned picture we were to do using the
right color and value.

Then we used a single persepective point and did this picture, again paying close attention to
colors and value.

I didn't like the brush strokes here but I got the values right.


Our assignment here was to paint a piece of a landscape photo.  I enjoyed finding the section
I was going to paint but found it much more difficult than I had anticipated.  Maybe
one day but landscapes (even simplified) are very difficult for me.  Hopefully the boat is the
focal point here.
Wishing all a very Happy Paint Party Friday!

And blooming on the lanai, inspite of the cold.

20 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry that your lovely orchids are suffering because of the weather. Your paintings are good, love the colours. Glad you have found a good teacher. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

Latane Barton said...

I'm thinking your art teacher is a great find. I took a class recently where I live and got nothing out of it. Bummer.

John R said...

Wonderful artwork. I especially like the second piece. You have captured the light perfectly, and for what it's worth, I think the brushstrokes add to the effect. We've had lots of snow lately. More on the way,too. Roll on spring...please.

Faye said...

Your paintings are all so beautiful. I think your class is very good in that you are learning more about values and perspective. I especially love the landscape with the building and boat.

Christine said...

Beautiful work and you are learning which always a good thing.

Linda Kunsman said...

You are obviously reaping the rewards of a good teacher. Wonderful projects-and I love your landscape especially. Happy PPF!

Gloria j Zucaro said...

Hi Susan really great compositions and value studies. It is funny you didn't care for the second piece, as that is my favorite! It is mysterious and leads you into the space. I like the brushstrokes showing-the hand of the artist!

Katie Jeanne said...

You've been busy this week. I really like your value studies, especially the landscape.

sirkkis said...

You have talents, indeed. Love all your paintings, my favorite is the beautiful landscape with boat and buildings.
Sorry about your orchids, hope they are saving in cold winter there. I've read about unusual winter there.
Happy PPF and have great February ahead xx

Robin said...

Love the artwork perspectives. And what a happy bloom, despite the cold. Here in Northern California we should be very cold with icy rain or snow yet it is sunny and 70 degrees outside for the 3rd day in a row. I guess we are both having strange weather. Thank you for the awesome comment you left on my blog post! Have a Fantastic Friday and a Wonderful Weekend. Big hugz!

Sue (this n that) said...

Well done you Susan how you look after your orchids so diligently! No wonder they give you the most spectacular blooms - they appreciate their home :D)

I really enjoyed your artwork and seeing the stages. It's a lovely scene. Happy PPF!

denthe said...

I think your landscape painting is very good! And the first one looks very interesting. Happy PPF!

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful artwork Susan! Everything looks so fabulous! Happy PPF :)

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful paintings! Looks like you are learning a lot with the new teacher.

SandeeNC said...

I understand the taking in and taking back out of plants all too well, lol Love the painting that you did, it's a fabulous landscape!

Özge Başağaç said...

Lovely paintings and colors. Landscapes may be intimidating but as you did, you can break it into smaller pieces. Happy PPF !

Neesie said...

I heard reports that some parts of Florida even had snow this past winter Susan! So happy to hear your orchids survived. I have one that is full of blooms right now... but then it is indoors near the fireplace! Isn't it fantastic when you find a teacher that stretches your ability and passes on such fantastic information.
Enjoyed looking at your great work. Happy PPF :D

Beth Niquette said...

Your paintings are wonderful. I love them. The odd thing is that Florida has been colder than it is here in Oregon. We haven't seen snow once. And only had one tiny cold snap of a couple of weeks before Christmas. Boohoo! :D

Gillena Cox said...

Actually the landscape is my favourite
Have a nice weekend

Much💟love

Giggles said...

Stunning work Susan! I love your finished landscape with the boat..
Love your strokes in the second one..and your use of colour! Wow!

Peace Giggles