It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived. Helen Walton

Friday, November 24, 2017

My old friend, yupo paper

It has been probably 8 months since I did anything with yupo paper.
That is a plastic paper I used exclusively in 2016.
Then I got involved with abstracts on 300# watercolor paper and forgot about yupo.
Several artist friends rented a room at the ArtCenter and "played together" for a morning.
I decided to use my last sheet of yupo.
This is watercolor sprayed through cheesecloth.
When it drys I remove the cheesecloth and spray it with a fixative.
I used stencils I had made to create this design.


I had an old background on a canvas board that I wanted to finish one way or another.
I added collage and the collage just seemed to sit on top, not a part of the composition.
So I mixed a thin off white paint and used a kitchen spatula to smear the paint around.
What fun!!!  I will definitely use that again and I was happy with the result.


I am not sure if it is done but it is further along than it was.
The Holiday Season is upon us!
Keep painting.  It is a good stress relief.

Happy PPF and thanks to Kristin and Eva for managing our "zoo"

P.S.  Almost forgot my blooms this week.  They are gorgeous and too numerous to share them all.


13 comments:

Clare Lloyd said...

Great pages and super flowers

Latane Barton said...

That is a technique I am unfamiliar with but it's lovely.

Valerie-Jael said...

Your yupo artwork always looks great, one of these days I will get some and try it. Your blooms are wonderful, just a few brave flowers have survived on my balcony. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

Your painting with cheesecloth is amazing. Beautiful!
The paper is fine as well.
Happy PPF 💕

carol l mckenna said...

Love 2nd creation ~ full of wonderful energy and so creative ~ ^_^

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Linda Kunsman said...

Super looking -and fun- paintings! Your blooms are just gorgeous too. Happy PPF!

Faye said...

You have been so creative this week! Love all your art work and the gorgeous flowers too.

Christine said...

Both lovely pieces and gorgeous flowers!

John said...

Very creative work. Super.

denthe said...

Both are great ideas (the spraying through cheese-cloth and the use of the spatula) and give beautiful results!

minnemie said...

I always love to see what you do with the yupo, for I find it a hard surface to work on. What a brilliant idea to spray the paint through cheese cloth! I love the piece you created.

Jennifer McLean said...

first, your header is STUNNING. I've recently hear of YUPO paper and now, seeing your work I so want to try it! Thanks for sharing. Visiting from PPF. Oh, I'm having a HUGE Christmas Giveaway on my site, the giveaway closes midnight Sunday night pacific time. Here's the link... http://justaddwatersilly.com/2017/11/21/christmas-giveaway/

Sue (this n that) said...

Really great to read about the process for your gorgeous yupo painting. The effect through cheesecloth is wonderful and has a real rainforest feel to it.
Interesting and a beaut result how you drew the collage together in the second piece too.
Oh, your orchids are magnificent (love those frilly edges) Susan :D)