It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived. Helen Walton

Thursday, January 30, 2014

W.I.P.


Just can't seem to leave the yupo alone.
This one was initially painted with Createx gold and quinocredone gold.  I smushed
a dry cleaning bag around on it to get some good texture, left it for about five minutes and 
pulled the bag off.  When all was dry, I gave it a coat of matte medium.
Then I mixed up some alizarin crimson water color and a tad bit of cobalt blue
and used a large brush to cover the entire sheet.  I got some interesting bubbles this time.
I traced my giraffe onto the dry red surface and began the lift using a small scrub brush
and water.  I love, love, love watching the subject emerge.
As you can see, I have left the most tedious, detailed part for last...
not a good idea!
Remember him?  He was done on plain white yupo with the same water color wash.
This color wash was crimson and orange sort of mixed on the surface.
And this will be an elephant if I can ever settle on the elephant sketch I want to use.
I used grey acrylic craft paint, silver and fuchsia Createx and smushed it
with crumpled up wax paper to get the texture I wanted.
I am thinking I will use a dark, dark purple for the watercolor wash.

That's what is sitting on my desk.  What about you??
Happy PPF
and here comes February!

18 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic, love that giraffe! I think I must try yupo! Valerie

Giggles said...

Wonderful work...yupo is amazing with great results!

Hugs Giggles

Netty said...

Terrific results with your WIP's. Happy PPF, Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Unknown said...

That giraffe is GORGEOUS!! Can't wait to see the elephant--what a cool technique!

GlorV1 said...

Nice wip's. The giraffe is awesome! Great work. Happy PPF!

dena ann said...

Love the Yupo results, always wondered what it looked like! Nice.

Debbie Nolan said...

Susan - just found your blog. Love the name and the quote. Enjoyed seeing into your journal pages...very lovely indeed. As for the Yupo - amazing...I have painted a couple of pieces in watercolor and love playing around on it. Looking at your giraffe and zebra got me excited to try something similar and use some acrylics. Thanks for inspiring. Have a lovely day.

Linda Kunsman said...

I'm fascinated by how you work your paints and drawings on the yupo paper-beautiful results!

Faye said...

Your animal paintings are fantastic! I am so in awe of your artistic ability.

Unknown said...

love you animal paintings!!! well done!!! Happy PPF!!!

coco.nut said...

I love your zebra, can't wait for the elephant! happy PPF!

Studio Kaufmann said...

I love your giraffe.Such an interesting background texture too. Looking forward to see how the elephant develops. Happy PPF!

Carola Bartz said...

I love both the zebra and the giraffe. The color on the zebra is so beautiful.

Annabelle said...

Lovely work and such vibrancy in those colours, makes one think of their warm origins.

: ) PPF Annabelle

Annabelle said...

Accidentally deleted your comment on my blog, sorry : (

Thanks for the comment, much appreciated.

xxx Annabelle

Penny Lee StewArt said...

Wonderful textures! Great animals! Wow.

DVArtist said...

Wow I really like what you are doing. The giraffes turn out so bright and bold. Can't wait to see the elephant.
Nicole/Beadwright

AM Zafaran said...

Absolutely gorgeous work! Wow!! That giraffe is awesome!