It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived. Helen Walton

Monday, July 23, 2012

Harley is a "keeper"

"Baby Harley"
  A year ago this weekend, I convinced my husband that we should go and "look" at a puppy I had seen online.  That was the beginning of a huge change in our lives.  "Harley" came home with us that day and began his conquest of our lives.  He was a needy puppy...had to be fed and watered and emptied round the clock.  Four weeks into the adventure, I was having serious questions about my own sanity and wondering why I would want to turn our lives upside down for a little four legged friend.
As time progressed we discovered that we were certainly moving around  a lot more than usual, our pants were becoming looser and we laughed a lot more than we normally had.  He may not wear big shoes or have a red nose but he is a clown.  We are his best audience.
Our living room looks like the set of Romper Room.  He has ten stuffed animals that he knows each by name.  He loves nothing better than to haul each of them into the living room, shake them furiously and squeak their squeakers until we plead for quiet.  A tennis ball is not only a great thing to chase, but also serves as a "teether" as he struggles to chew the fur off the ball.  I uncovered an old nylabone from our deceased Bulldog, Milly.  Now this monster is a favorite.  He can barely haul it around but I am sure it holds old Milly flavors that make it irrestible.
We both agree.  That drive was the smartest thing we have done in a long time.  We know Harley is a "keeper"

2 comments:

fionaphoenix said...

I wandered to your blog via the Weekly Challenge. What an adorable little guy you have! Aren't dogs just the most wonderful thing. I've been wanting to get one for ages. I may have to show your post to my boyfriend as a major hint. :)

Anonymous said...

He is so very cute! I need a Harley in my life!